- Information on the local underwater ecosystem
- Video on overfishing example of a video to use)
- Science Notebook
- Internet access (tablet, computer, etc)
- Books on the type of local underwater ecosystem
- Student model of local underwater ecosystem
- Data and maps from the Castable Sonar/GPS unit field trip
- Proposal template (Appendix 9)
Show overfishing video. Ask students if they think this could happen in their underwater ecosystem. Have students discuss.
Pose these questions:
- What methods can we implement to protect our local underwater ecosystem?
- How can the Castable Sonar/GPS unit help us?
Using their constructed models and online research of sustainable fisheries, student groups should analyze methods using their data from the field trip and use their models to determine how to best move forward.
Students should develop a proposal to plan to present to the rest of the class. Guide students through this process.
Student groups will present their proposals to the class.
After all students have presented their proposals, discuss pros and cons of all the solutions.
Use the proposal as assessment tool.