- Video/Photo/Information on your local underwater ecosystem
- National Geographic Coral Reef Video:
Video Source: https://youtu.be/wbNeIn3vVKM
- Science notebook
- Venn Diagram OR Double Bubble Map (Choose one from Appendix 1)
Show students the Coral Reef Video from the materials section. Have a brief discussion on their initial ideas about the coral reef.
- Is it important?
- What types of animals live there?
- How do people know about these animals?
Gather some information of what areas your students have prior knowledge. Then either show a picture/video/or have a discussion of your local underwater ecosystem.
- What is it like?
- How is it similar to or different from the Coral Reef ecosystem depicted in the video?
Have students develop a Venn Diagram or Double Bubble Map to compare and contrast their local ecosystem and the coral reef.
Have students discuss their comparisons.
- How are they alike?
- How are they different?
- Are they both important? Why or Why not?
Pose these questions to students:
- Do the two different underwater ecosystems relate at all?
- What are pieces of both that are the same or similar?
Use the discussion and comparison students made as an assessment tool.